• Home
  • Protect Yourself

Protect Yourself

...From unlicensed contractors!

Building aluminum structures is not a hobby! Aluminum structure installation and services sometimes deserve serious and careful consideration and should not be handled by nonprofessionals. Safety, competency and reputability should be your prime concerns when choosing a professional contractor. Did you know? Hiring an unlicensed, uninsured amateur to do a professional contractor's work could result in great expense and unanticipated aggravation? Were you aware that if such an amateur gets hurt while working in your home, it could result in an expensive and tedious law suit, costing you precious time and money? Be alert, be aware and be smart! Protect yourself by hiring reputable, licensed and insured contractors.

Consider this:

  • All citizens pay for the effect of unlicensed activity on insurance costs, taxes, and credit losses and for damage done to the owners, employees, and suppliers of licensed competitors.
  • Unlicensed contractors cannot pull permits. This means the plans for the work to be done are not inspected and may or may not meet the local building codes.
  • Doing business with an unlicensed contractor exposes consumers to a variety of risks involving liability claims, state and federal taxes, liens by vendors of material or labor, violations of law and the possibility that the job will not be completed in accordance with the minimum standards for the profession.
  • The unlicensed person or firm skirts such responsibilities as liability insurance, worker's compensation, unemployment compensation, social security and reporting withholding of taxes.
  • Installation of any major home appliance such as air conditioners, water heaters, electrical heaters, etc. by an Unlicensed Contractor may void the warranty on that product. This may includes warranties on roofs or other parts of the home that have a structure attached to it, i.e. a pool enclosure.
  • If an aluminum structure is improperly installed by an Unlicensed Contractor (collapses, or prematurely collapses during a storm, etc.), the property owner's insurance will not cover it.

Documents you should ask for from a contractor:

  • Occupational License
  • Contractors License
  • Competency card
  • Proof of workman’s compensation
  • Proof of General Liability Insurance
  • A minimum of 5 references

It is in your best interest to call the Better Business Bureau at 407-621-3300 and ask if the contractor has any complaints on their record, and if so you may find out if there are multiple complaints and if they have been resolved or not. You can also simply find out at www.bbb.org. You should also call the county at (321) 633-2058, to verify if the contractor’s license is still in good standing. (You can also quickly check a contractors license online here or here.) Furthermore request if the company’s worker’s compensation is current and active. You may also find out information about any complaints against a business here. The county’s office will be familiar with most on going issues concerning the contractor in question in their county. Be careful about contractors wanting you, as the customer, to pull your own permit. Contractors who want to do the work only on weekends should be questioned as well. You’ll want to make sure that a building department inspector will inspect the work if a permit has been issued, whether you, the customer, or the contractor pulled the permit.

County Citation Program:

  • The Unlicensed Contractor Program was developed to protect the public, ensure qualified contractors are legally advertising and properly insured to perform the work in their trade, and maintain the credibility of the Construction Industry.
  • Brevard County has established a Citation program to assist in enforcing proper licensing.
  • Qualified, trained field inspectors may issue a citation(s) for those in violation of Brevard County licensing code.
  • A citation may be issued to anyone performing work without holding proper license and/or if performing work without pulling a building permit, if required.
  • Citizens and contractors may call in a complaint if they suspect unlicensed activity is taking place. Attempt to have the correct address or location where the activity is taking place.
  • When calling in suspected unlicensed activity, you DO NOT have to leave your name as the complainant.
  • If you witness suspicious behavior, please contact the Brevard County Licensing Regulation & Enforcement Office at (321) 633-2058 and provide a complete address of the location where the person is working. An inspector will be sent out immediately.